Trasquera is a small alpine town located in the Divedro Valley, at 1096 meters; it is located on the slopes of the Teggiolo in a panoramic position: the view of the Weissmies group and the Andolla chain is wonderful, surrounded by chestnut woods. Even if Trasquera is near the Simplon – as the crow flies – it can only be reached by car by taking the road that goes up Val Cairasca from Varzo.
Characteristic of the town is the beautiful Romanesque church of S. Maria Maddalena.
The name Trasquera derives from the Latin TRANS (beyond) and from the pre-Roman term KAR (cliff, rock): therefore it would mean “Beyond the cliff”. But the origin of the current name could also derive from the Spanish with the meaning of “entrance to the pastures” and indeed many surnames still existing have a decidedly Spanish sound. From Trasquera you reach the hamlet of Bugliaga passing the famous “Devil’s Bridge” . A stone bridge of considerable engineering skills, is located on the carriage road that leads from Trasquera to the hamlet of Bugliaga (on the Rì stream). It was built in 1880. The height is about 100 meters, the span of the arch measures 33.30 meters. Legends told that arduous works of this type were made by the devil. Hence the name.